by his brother, Norman(’39)


Patrick Beattie passed away in Melbourne, Australia in July 2005. Pat, as he was known, matriculated in 1940 and on leaving school was appointed as a Management Trainee at the United Tobacco Company S A Limited, a subsidiary of the British American Tobacco Corporation.

At the beginning of 1943 Pat volunteered for aircrew training in the South African Air Force, wherein he qualified as a navigator/bombardier. The final part of his training was done at Young’s Field, where his course instructor was Lieutenant “Froggie” Efroiken, a SACS Old Boy who had been Pat’s Platoon Commander in the cadets at School.

Pat was posted to the Middle East, where he had the misfortune to be shot down in the Aegean Sea after attaching an enemy convoy. He was officially reported, “Missing in action”. Some two months later it was learnt that he was with Greek partisans high up in the Greek mountains. Six months later, by way of secret arrangements, he was picked up in Italy (notwithstanding that Greece was fully occupied by enemy forces at the time).

After the war Pat resumed duties at his company in Cape Town.

At School Pat played hooker from the U11 to U19 school rugby teams. Cecil Moss was the captain of all these teams. After leaving school Pat joined the Hamilton’s Rugby Club and initially played for the U19 team and then successive Hamilton teams as hooker and team captain. It was at Hamiltons that he met up with SACS Old Boy stalwart Francis Mellish.

A few years later Pat was sent to Bloemfontein to supervise the building of a factory and the installation of machinery, etc and to manager the business there. He joined the Ramblers Rugby Club and on occasions represented the Orange Free State.

A few years later he was sent to Salisbury, Rhodesia, where he established a new factory, etc and was then made a Director of the company. He captained the Salisbury Rugby team and later represented Rhodesia.

He was later transferred to the Head Office, Johannesburg where in keeping with the company’s policy to diversify, he created Willards Snack Food Company, which within a few years had a multi-million rand turnover.

Pat retired in 1982 after 40 years service with UCT and returned to Cape Town with his wife, Desireé. In Cape Town he renewed his association with Hamiltons and regularly attended the SACS Old Boys dinners.

Being an active man, he got tired of retirement and became a knowledgeable consultant in Sectional Title matters and later became a sectional Title Manager of Pam Golding Property Management Services, a position he held until he and his wife decided to join their son, Russell and family, in Melbourne, Australia in 1997.